Friday, April 30, 2010

Driving While Stupid

When it comes to texting while driving, I hate to admit that I'm as guilty as the next guy. I could say that I do it "safely," but let's be honest here. There is no safe way to text and drive. Oprah is taking steps to get people to make their cars "no phone zones." She insists that a call or a text isn't worth losing a life. Obviously she's right. She's Oprah. Last week I had a close call in being victim of another chick's stupidity. I had a green light to go straight across the intersection and she was across the intersection going left on a green - it was my right of way. As I drove into and through the intersection, I noticed the car opposite me did not look like it was going to stop. She was turning in my direction and when I looked to the driver... she wasn't even looking up!!! This stupid _____ was texting while entering an intersection when she didn't even have the right of way! So I gave her a little "BEEP BEEP" (though I was thinking "BLEEP BLEEP!") and we both slammed on the brakes. She looked like a deer in the headlights. Both of our windows were down and I almost said something to her but I bit my tongue. I could see on her face that she knew what an idiot move she had made. I'm sad to say I doubt that was the last time she texted while driving. I also regret to say that didn't shake me of the habit either. As a member of the iPhone clan, I know that for me texting is even more of a danger. Henceforth and herewith, I pledge to stop texting while driving. Let's see if I can do it.

*Disclaimer: Content written on my living room couch in St. Louis is less likely to be as wildly entertaining as content written during one of my crazy adventures. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment