Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Politics vs. Prostitution

In honor of the coming release of the iPhone 4S (and yesterday's mess-up of this post), I am reposting something I wrote on, There's a Blog for That, a blog about life with my iPhone.


It is my belief that one of the iPhone's best features is also one of its worst. Autocorrect. On the website/pop-culture-phenomenon, "Texts From Last Night," a fellow iPhone user poignantly identifies the issue: "Seriously, iPhone. Stop autocorrecting all my f*cks into ducks. You're making all my strong worded texts look harmless and adorable." While the feature can be immensely helpful to speed-texters, it is also responsible for such catastrophes as, "OMG. I just locked my jews in the car again" (damnyouautocorrect.com) and "that personal trainer licked my butt!" According to CNN.com, "the iPhone's auto-correct function turns 'heard about garys internship at the whitehouse?' to 'heard about farts internship at the whorehouse?'" Even worse, what would Gary's friends at the whorehouse think if they read in a text that he'd gotten a new job at the White House??

A new website, damnyouautocorrect.com, allows victims of autoincorrect to send in pictures of their phones' "misfixes" for everyone to enjoy. As more and more of my text messages are butchered everyday, I can't help but wonder if and how Apple will address this problem. Is there a way to make our phones understand us better? And is autocorrect the future of typing for all keyboards? The iPad also autocorrects users' typos; maybe it's just a matter of time before technology completely dictates our usage of intentionally misspelled wordz and phonetically-written catchphrases (ie. "baaahahaha" or "oh GAWD"). I am a frequent user of "nize" and "srzly" and would very much like to keep my freedom of expression.

Clearly Apple's autocorrect function can do some damage if one presses "send" before he proofreads an autocorrected text to his boss. On the other hand, it also provides us with a good laugh now and again, so perhaps the positives outweigh thenegligés. I mean negatives.

I'm sure you have all experienced some quality autocorrect moments and I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment