Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Overcoming Addiction

Happy Tuesday, readers!  I want to talk about something serious today.  Addiction.  Addiction is a real problem that should not be underestimated.  People talk about having "addictive personalities," and according to Wikipedia, that's actually a real problem.  So is thinking Wikipedia is a viable source.  I don't want to make excuses, but I fear I am a person suffering from an addictive personality.  From a very young age I've had problems getting hooked on things and feeling the need to get my fix.  But it's time to acknowledge my faults and share with you the top 10 addictions I have (sort of) overcome.  Brace yourselves.

The Top 10 Addictions I Have (Sort of) Overcome
10. Free Willy.  I only wish I kept my letter from President Clinton responding to my inquiry about what he's doing to save the whales.
9. Titanic.  If you were in Mr. Hagan's 4th grade class with me, you might remember my sick addiction to all things Titanic.  True, plenty of girls went through the same thing, but I'd like to know how many of them played the two video cassette tapes until the picture became fuzzy and jumpy.  Fun fact: Last week when I was suffering from insomnia I sang the entire Titanic soundtrack in my head.
8. Coldstone.  This habit kicked in during my sophomore year in high school when the national ice cream chain opened a store near my house.  I went almost - okay, literally everyday and got a "Like It" sized scoop of coffee ice cream with Heath Bar mixed in.  Thank God I got over that phase because if I was dealing with that addiction as a 23 year old I would be 450 lbs.  Thank you to my family and friends for the support you gave me to overcome this one.
7. Nutella.  Ever walk into your dorm building to find an 18 year old girl covered in Nutella with her hand stuck in the jar?  Sorry for that, guys.
6. Tuna sandwiches.  (I'm sensing a pattern here...)  You know what?  I'm still addicted to tuna sandwiches and I don't even care if you think it stinks or if you think I'm going to get mercury poisoning.  I like them. Deal.
5. Quick Trip breakfast sandwiches.  I know, this one's really shameful.  I had gone an entire 23 years without having a single sausage, egg and cheese biscuit from anywhere.  Then, one fateful morning I was peer pressured into trying one.  What they say is right, you know.  Just one time can get you hooked.  I still struggle with this one every time I pass a QT before 11:30am.
4. Facebook.  Duh.
3. Nacho Mama's.  I think when you overcome an addiction to alcohol or drugs you're not supposed to ever drink or do drugs again.  Well I must be pretty strong because I went from hitting the Nacho Mama's drive-thru bi or tri-weekly to a couple times a month.  It takes a lot of willpower to resist those beany and cheesy nachos, but I'm getting stronger everyday.
2. Domino's Chicken Kickers.  During my first year of college I was dependent on these little nuggets of joy.  Some of you might remember the great Kicker Fit of 2007... I try not to think about it.  But how could you blame me when Domino's was on our meal plan??  Once again I am glad I overcame this addiction because a 23 year old eating pizza and Chicken Kickers every single night - yes, it got that extreme - is just embarrassing.
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  Did I watch this movie every single day when I was 14?  Yes.  Three times a day?  Yes.  Did it pay off because I met Daniel Radcliffe, the love of my teenage life?  You bet.  No shame.

I'd like to thank everyone who supported me through these tough times.  I could never have overcome any of my addictions without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment